- Excel allows SME's to begin with their own assumptions, and then build on them. Excel doesn’t force SME's to adapt to a system created by anonymous programmers on a tight schedule.
- Excel offers the ability to create more sophisticated models than most third-party packages offer.
- SME's typically help their careers more by learning Excel well than by occasionally using one of dozens of competing budgeting and analytical packages.
- Small companies and divisions only can afford Excel. And that represents the majority of locations where budgeting happens.
- Several excellent tools exist for enhancing Excel for budgeting and forecasting, rather than replacing it.
- In this challenging economy, forecasts and budgets often should include data from beyond a company’s four walls. But most third-party tools rely on data controlled by the IT Department, which typically prohibits most third-party data.
- Excel is more flexible than dedicated budgeting and forecasting software.
For the record, this SME has no intention of abandoning Excel anytime soon, if ever...
Source: Kyd, C (2012, February 18), Will Your Company Replace Excel with a Dedicated Budgeting Program? ExcelUser.