For years now, I've tried to guide my actions and decisions based upon an integrated and comprehensive understanding of my beliefs, values, knowledge, experiences, motives, and drives -- what some might call a "mission statement." Here is my mission as it appears in a framed version that stands on my desk:
• I am MY OWN MAN. I choose how to LIVE my life. I take RISKS and accept RESPONSIBILITY. I have a right to be HAPPY.
• I am a LEARNER. I seek to UNDERSTAND life and the universe. EXISTENCE is instructive.
• I make INTEGRITY a guiding principle in my affairs. I am impeccable to my WORD and strive for ACHIEVEMENT. I avoid taking things PERSONALLY, and resist making ASSUMPTIONS about people.
• I respect POWER and understand how KNOWLEDGE, WEALTH, and VIOLENCE affect me. I practice INNOVATION, IMPROVISATION, and ADAPTABILITY.
• I match PROFIT to PRINCIPLE in the conduct of business. I promote ENTERPRISE amongst STAKEHOLDERS. I foster and nurture COLLEGIALITY within my domains.
• I am FRUGAL. I seek to get the most VALUE from my time and the things I have the use of. I invest for my ESTATE and use it to pursue a LIFESTYLE of fitness and growth.
• I practice CHIVALRY. I have COMPASSION for the innocent. I MENTOR deserving talent along the way and give the CREDIT to those who deserve it.
• I live in the LIGHT and fear the darkness. I understand the difference between REALITY and delusion. I believe TRUTH prevails over lies.