Friday, March 04, 2011

Citations and References Made Easy

Professional standards require that scholarly writing comply with style manuals published by such institutions as the American Psychological Association (APA), the Modern Language Association (MLA), the Council of Science Editors (CSE), and others. Each of these writing styles specifies unique formats for typing citations and references. Unfortunately, some researchers struggle with the standards, which can result in papers being rejected by reviewers.


The good news is that automated formatting support is available from a number of vendors. The solution I recommend most often is EndNote (Thompson Reuters). I have been using EndNote now for over a decade. Every reference found in any of my research publications is stored in the EndNote database, which works like a glove with Word (Microsoft). Over the years, my EndNote database has grown with me as I accumulate new articles, books, and references in my field. Here is how the creators of EndNote describe their solution:
Millions of researchers, scholarly writers, students, and librarians use EndNote to search online bibliographic databases, organize their references, images and PDFs in any language, and create bibliographies and figure lists instantly. Instead of spending hours typing bibliographies, or using index cards to organize their references, they do it the easy way—by using EndNote! And EndNote Web is included with EndNote so you can collaborate with others easily.
If you are a researcher or learner seeking to publish a manuscript, thesis, or dissertation, I urge you to begin using EndNote sooner than later. Follow the link below to learn more:

Learn More

1 comment:

Dave Spaulding said...

William, I agree that Endnote is a great tool. My only challenge with it is that I haven't been able to get it to work with WordPerfect, which is my word processor of choice (seriously superior to Word). And so, I don't take advantage of it as much as I could.

Post a Comment